Tuesday, May 22, 2007

5/20 - My Polish Experience

Headed out at 9:19 a.m. - Sunny, windy, and in the 50's. Had the furnace on last night. I neglected to bring sweatshirts. Plenty of shorts, but no sweats! Wore my coat for awhile last night!

Lake effect fog is rolling in! We got to Indiana at 11:01 EDT and got to Illinois at 10:03 CDT! it's really foggy here!

We pulled up to the toll booth on the interstate. It was $1.70. Chrissy barked at the toll attendant who took it all in stride. He told her, "Your protest has been noted."

David sometimes works in Burr Ridge, Illinois outside Chicago and loves to go to a Polish restaurant/grocery there. We're staying in Joliet and Burr Ridge is about 20 minutes away, so we headed out for lunch.

English is not the first language in the restaurant. It's a buffet and really quite elegant. I chose items I recognized and some I didn't. I know this surprises some of you. The dill covered meatballs were good. Not sure what they were stuffed with, but I ate it! The raspberry tea was the best!

We finished eating and went into the store. Most of the signs are in Polish and most of the products are Polish. It was interesting to see what was in the meat counter....I can only guess what some of it was! We stopped at the bakery on the way out and got baklava. They pronounced it ba-cla-va instead of bac-la-va as we do. Either way it was delicious.

Headed back but stopped at one of my favorite places to shop - Camping World! Finally found a dish drainer that fits our sink.

One more stop for fuel - this was the most expensive yet - $3.499 at a Shell station outside Chicago!

Early evening, nothing exciting!

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

No comments: