Friday, May 18, 2007

5/15 - And we're off! A day late!

L to R: Jenny, Suzanne, Berta

It's Tuesday morning - 7:45 CDT and we're finally headed out. It's sunny and in the 60's and we're excited to go. David filled the truck up last night at Sam's Club for $2.83 per gallon. I didn't ask how many gallons.


Starting mileage for the trip is 59,388 miles.


After a few stops along the way, we got to Tennessee about 11:00 a.m.


David is pointing out the dead "possums on the halfshell" (armadillas) along the road. Last count was somewhere around 20.


Steph called to check on us and tell us a Patrick story. Patrick is two and has a wonderful sense of humor (just like his Mimi!). He saw a green and yellow caterpillar on the sidewalk. We now refer to them as "caterpickles." That's what it looked like to him.


The ride has been a bit "squirmy" and I've come close to screaming a couple of times. We were in the middle lane of the interstate and an 18 wheeler passed us on either side at the same time. The RV went to "wiggling" and I bit my lip. We stopped and put more air in the truck tires. A little better, but still squirmy. We hadn't adjusted the hitch since we loaded the RV, so we stopped again and adjusted the hardware. Seems to help, but I still have a few moments where I could become a Screaming Mimi!


David looked at me one time and asked if I remembered watching "The Long, Long Trailer." I remembered it, but didn't realize he was paying attention when we watched it. He reminded me I might have to play Lucy and throw rocks out the door! I laughed so hard!


Stopped in Nashville for fuel - $2.859 at Sam's Club. 16.879 gallons. Getting a little better than 12 miles per gallon pulling a fully loaded trailer!


Crossed into Kentucky about 3:30 p.m. The campground in Bowling Green is at Beech Bend Campground. It's part of an amusement park that hasn't opened for the season yet so it's quiet here. Or it was until the STORM came through.


David was tired and went to bed early so I decided to see what was on TV. I noticed it was lightning in the distance so I watched it for about an hour til it got really close, then I went to bed. It rained hard all night. Glad it rained as it's dry here like it is at home.

Many of you know I'm in an email group with a number of people across the country. We were all All My Children fans to begin with and started emailing. Since then we've moved on to other topics and people come and go from the group, but many of us have been members since the early '90's. One of the ladies, Suzanne, lives nearby so we decided to meet up for breakfast at Bob Evans. She also brought her friend Berta who we'd met in New York a couple of years ago. It was good to see both of them again.


The storm was bad where Suzanne lives. So bad that one of her neighbors had a horse struck by lightning in the open field. The other horses she owned were running loose.
After a great breakfast it was time to head out for our next destination! Ft. Mitchel, KY!
See ya down the road!
Jenny :)


No comments: